Long Island Women in Tech is Seeking Volunteer Applicants to Join our Board of Directors
Long Island Women in Tech (LIWIT) is seeking to expand our Board of Directors with individuals who are passionate about technology and helping advance women in tech roles. Though we are looking for volunteers with non-profit, management and/or volunteer experience, a willingness to learn and a drive to deliver on commitments to the organization will set you above the rest.
Board of Directors Open Positions for 2019:
- Treasurer – Manage the monthly financials of the organization through QuickBooks or other necessary tool. Plan the yearly budget for future organization growth. Perform yearly IRS filing(s). Track donations and volunteer hours on a monthly and quarterly basis.
- Grant Writer – Research, draft, and submit proposals that help Long Island Women in Tech receive grant funding to achieve our organization goals.
- Events Coordinator – Coordinate quarterly in-person events on or around Long Island.
- Mentorship – Develop and manage official mentorship program for Long Island Women in Tech members.
- Student Engagement/Mentorship – Coordinate engagement of local schools, universities and organizations to encourage young women and girls to pursue futures in technology..
- Membership Drive – Coordinate regular activities to engage existing members and drive new membership to the organization. Work to measure effectiveness of our programs for our members.
- Ability to commit a minimum of 6 hours per month (inclusive of Board Meeting).
- Ability to attend & participate in monthly board meetings and important related meetings.
- Ability to attend and participate in LIWIT in-person and online events.
- Participate in nonprofit fundraising activities for the organization.
- Commit to a 2 year term.
- Commited – Be an active board member who is committed to development and growth of LIWIT to further the mission of the organization
- Collaborator – Value the strength of the whole over the individual. Strengthen the organization by building relationships with fellow board members to contribute to Board consensus.
- Connector – Leverage personal & professional connections, networks and resources to achieve the organization’s mission & bring opportunity and exposure to our membership.
- Life Long Learner – A strong desire to to grow professionally and personally. Advancing education of our membership in emerging and proven technologies as well as leadership and personal development opportunities.
- Mentor – Mentor individual members on a regular basis and help guide them to those in your network who may help them achieve their next goal
- Critical Thinker – Think critically, ask questions and challenge unsubstantiated opinions and assertions. Consider issues from all facets and acknowledge different perspectives.
- Understand and promote organization’s mission.
- Help define the vision of our organization and drive us to achieve our yearly goals.
- Expand the effectiveness of the Board with your knowledge, skills, experience and unique insights.
- Represent the organization at a variety of industry meetups and networking events.
- Use your knowledge, skills and efforts to further the mission of LIWIT in your area of responsibility.
- Commitment to participate in establishing new and/or improved programs, events or tactics to enhance the experience of LIWIT members as it relates to your area of responsibility.
- Volunteer for and willingly accept assignments and complete them thoroughly and on time.
- Professional or volunteer experience in one or more of the following areas: technology, communications, non-profit management or event management with a focus in technology and/or issues affecting women.
- Proven ability to build consensus amongst team members.
- Results oriented – able to bring a project to completion.
- Ability to think critically, ask questions and challenge unsubstantiated opinions and assertions.
- Ability to consider issues from all facets and acknowledge different perspectives.
- Ability to articulate and communicate ideas in a clear, concise and logical manner.
- Ability to make informed decisions efficiently and take action when needed.
- Ability to operate independently or as part of a team.
- Demonstrated leadership experience a plus.
- Demonstrated presentation and public speaking experience a plus.
- An active member of LIWIT or other technology focused organization in the past 3 years is a plus.
Here’s just a few of the things you’ll personally get out of this opportunity:
- Resume Bump – It’s a known fact that employers like to see resumes that list out your volunteer and leadership experience outside of your day-job. Companies benefit from this diversity of thought so they seek it out. LIWiT will also promote you on social/business networks to help support your personal brand.
- Increase Your Access to Professional Networks – Access to our over 450 members and various partner organizations to help increase your circle of influence. This is one of the biggest reasons we built this organization and as a Board Member, you’ll gain direct access to this strong network.
- Expand Your Skillset – Learn about marketing, governance, branding, member and volunteer recruitment, strategic planning and all the other intricacies of how organizations are built and run.
- Gain A Built-In Set of Mentors – Our Board of Directors is a close-nit team that is available not only to help run our organization, but to help each other succeed professionally.
- Service Your Local Community – Elevate the needs of your local area of Long Island and become an integral part of solving problems by representing the diversity and social culture your local area. Being part of the LIWiT Board will also help get you a seat at the table with local government, schools and other organizations.
If this sounds like something you’re interested in and you can tick off most of the requirements, we’d love for you to apply here.