Help Wanted: XX Coders Teacher
XX Coders is searching for a student who is majoring in computer science or computer engineering to serve as a teacher and mentor to their club in Wyandanch, NY. This person will teach coding and programming to high school girls and underserved students from school districts that do not offer this type of education.
- Teach introductory to intermediate coding principles and fundamentals in a hands-on environment to 15 – 25 high school students in a 2 hour session, 1x per week.
- Mentor students providing guidance and individualized instruction.
- Create a safe and collaborative environment where students feel comfortable working with their peers and their instructor and where students learn how to fail forward with confidence.
- Develop lesson plans for each 2 hour session with students based on material provided by previous teachers and pre-made curriculums such as TechGirlz, Code Combat and Code.org.
- Communicate with Parents and Students on a regular basis in regards to schedules, student progress and additional resources.
- Update XX Coders website and blog with the latest news from the organization.
- Be an advocate for the XX Coders club and organization.
- Passionate about working with kids and seeing them improve.
- Passionate about technology.
- Quick learner: eager to explore new technologies, processes, and procedures.
- Technical education: Currently majoring in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or work equivalent experience.
- Experience mentoring students, teaching or assisting in a classroom setting with high school or collage age students.
- Ability to travel to the Wyandanch Community Center (20 Andrews Avenue, Wyandanch, NY) at least 1x per week to teach a 2 hour lesson.
Hours: 5-6 hours per week. Mostly remote. 2 hours in-person weekly.
Salary: $25.00 per hour (note that the salary is paid through fundraising and scholarship grants pulled together by the students themselves).