First I wanted to thank you all for an amazing year. Special thanks to Samantha Seymour, LaShana Breland and Kerry Harrison for stepping up and helping plan and execute 20 events and volunteer engagements for our members and the local Long Island community.
This past year we’ve had more focus, more engagement and more support than ever before showing us that the need for a local organization to support Women in Technology careers is not only important, but essential to our individual and community growth.
We couldn’t do all of this without the support of all of you and many key players who contributed to a successful 2017 – click through on a few of the links below to see all the work that they’ve done this year:
- Our partners and sponsors: Stony Brook University, Queens College, Nassau Community College (& Zermina Kabir), WorkMarket, the Microsoft Store, Workey, ABI.New York, Babylon Public Library & Babylon Soccer Club
- Our presenters: Elizabeth Lions, Tanis Cornell, Shannon Cassidy, Ron Elitzur & Peter Averill.
- Our Stony Brook Panelists: Dr. Monica Bugallo, Yuliya Astapova, Lissette Lugo, Melora Loffreto, LaShana Breland & Karina Mikucka, and our best male ally, Vincent Accardi
- Our Queens College organizers and panelists: Renee Tarun, Phyllis Palleschi, Shreya Mathur & Marissa Schuchat, Wendy Tullo, Natasha Green & of course Ying Zhou
- Techies of the Month: Samantha Seymour, LaShana Breland, Melissa Borza & Marissa Schuchat
- Our Director of Social Media, blogger and community event organizer: LaShana Breland
- Our Director of Events: Samantha Seymour
- Our Logo Designer: Kerry Harrison
With the new year coming in just a few days, the one wish I have for us is to gain some more regular volunteers. Shana, Samantha, Kerry and I need your help to organize events, plan and execute community activities and manage the organization as a whole. If you are interested in helping out, please look for an email in the coming days with our “asks”.
For now, I wish you all a Happy and Healthy New Year and hope to see you at our next social event in January – the Tech Together Happy Hour!
Founder, Long Island Women in Tech